Introduction Poetry Lesson Plans
Introduction Poetry Lesson
Lesson Plans Objective
Introduce concept of poetry. Help students understand feelings,
motivation, and main ideas in poetry.
Lesson Plans Materials
- Class Set of poems by Shel Silverstein
- Discussion Questions (for student use via overhead,
handout, computer projection)
Lesson Plans Lesson
Poetry lesson starts with warm up.
What is poetry? What do you like about it? What do you dislike? What is
your favorite poem and why?
Share student responses to warm up. General discussion of poetry.
Teacher needs to also incorporate personal answers to warm up questions
Lesson Plans Work Period
- Students Pair Up.
- Read each of the poems by Shel Silverstein aloud.
- Complete the discussion questions for each poem.
- Share with class. Discuss.
Poems and Discussion
Questions located in list to right
Lesson Plans Homework
Bring an example of a poem to class to share. It can be one that you
find on the Internet, one you write yourself, or one from a famous
from Introduction Poetry Lesson Plans to Homepage.